Meet the Enemy

I have a program that allows me to see which google searches have brought people to my site. My favorite search so far has been "Horsefly mystical creature." Someone actually typed that in google and landed at Creature Comforts.

I didn't understand the search until I met this particular horsefly. When I looked into her multi-colored eyes I understood how some might believe she had mystical powers. I suppose she does, in fact.

Did you know that a horsefly (unlike, say, a common mosquito) does not suck your blood. Oh no, that would be far too simple and neat. Instead, a horsefly uses scimitar-like blades along its mouth to actually cut out chunks of your flesh and gorge itself on your blood. If given the time it will actually cut out a large chunk to fly off with for later eating. The wikipedia horsefly entry is really impressive, I recommend it.

There is a particular form of sand wasp that preferentially eats horseflies. KUDOS!

Always remember that this is a war. There are not rules of conduct when it comes to our dealings with horseflies. You are either a horsefly fighting warrior or you become another statistic. To learn more about the enemy click here.

4 comments:

The Chu said...

MJB, thanks for the enlightening post about the horsefly. I am gladdened, also, by your employ of bellicose language. Yes, this IS A WAR! Why don't people get it?

Anonymous said...

The Horsefly is the southern cousin of coastal New England's wonderful "Greenhead". Ahh, the great Tabaninae family. When I was horseshoe crabbing I got destroyed by these things a few times. I found that the Skin So Soft/hard core bug spray/sun lotion combo was the only thing that worked against them.

MJB said...

This is some very valuable intelligence to our movement Michael. Your contribution will not be forgotten.

jeany said...

I want to get cool shades like that. will you get me some?